The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) is hosting a free webinar for service technicians on Friday, February 12 at 4 PM ET entitled “Stop-Start System Technologies – Theory, Operation, and Diagnostics.”
Many vehicles are now engineered with stop-start technology. Service technicians may have even heard complaints from motorists, like “my car’s engine keeps dying and starts back up randomly.” This technology has been used on hybrid vehicles for over 20 years, but manufacturers are now using stop-start systems on non-hybrid vehicles for idle-time reduction strategies and to boost fuel mileage.
Technicians must be aware of best service practices to handle vehicles equipped with stop-start systems since something as simple as diagnosing a starter motor can create problems in the bay. Peter Orlando, senior curriculum developer/technical instructor with the Carquest Technical Institute (CTI), will explore the following topics:
- An overview of automatic stop-start systems
- What vehicles are using stop-start technology
- Basic driver functions and vehicle electrical system modifications
- Auto stop-start criteria required for autostop and autostart process
- Power management operation during autostop
- Stop-Start system malfunctions and diagnosis
For more information or to register, click here.